October 01, 2004
7:59 AM

It's early, yet I've already walked 2.3 miles and have gone through a days worth of thoughts. I awoke at 6:30 AM to the rumbling/ringing of my phone alarm. What seemed like an eternity to find my phone became a necessity in getting me up. My dear friend Monica was visiting and we had to wake up to get her to the airport. Though we were staying on the bus, we had ventured to a nearby hotel the previous day to see if they had shuttle service to the airport and yes...they did. So we saved on the cost of a taxi. Yes, I am frugal and consider myself a genuis when it comes to saving money.

It's been a crazy 24 hours... With the debate, the students were rooting for both the right and left. John Edwards was at Ohio St. giving a talk after the debate and it seemed as if students cared again. With over 4 miles of walking yesterday I witnessed countless numbers of voter registration volunteers and a plethora of political propaganda. Upon my arrival the club we were playing at, I was met by some nice kids who had seen me play on Plea For Peace. Some hand shake exchanges were made and a few requests for songs off my record.

I quickly went through my daily routine of setting up and sound check. There were volunteers coming to the show to help me sell stuff. And Thankfully they showed up!! Thanks guys!! It gave me a much needed break from the show to do some catch up work. Going on first is usually viewed as a horrible thing, but I really enjoy it. I like being done early and having the stress be gone. Last night was a good show. Not great, but good. I've been really happy with the way I've been playing. I made Tom Morello watch my set and he complimented me. But you never know what they really think.

After a long day I finally fell asleep at around 2:15 AM, the buzz of the bar crowd getting out from their raucous evening could be heard from my bottom bunk. Shouts of BUSH rules! could be heard and every so often a loud thud of somebody knocking on our bus.

I was awoken at 3 AM and told by Pat from ANTI FLAG that I needed to go outside because their were police who wanted to clear our bus. I was in such a daze. I had no idea what was going on and still don't. But from my foggy mindset I think there was a fight and the police thought the persons responsible were being hidden on our bus???? Hmmmm... I'll have to figure that one out.

My journey to Columbus also got to see stalkers waiting for Tom Morello with a pile of stuff for him to autograph. I guess I forget how big Rage Against the Machine was and how big Audio Slave is. He's a pretty big rock star, but a good guy regardless of his position on the rock star ladder.

We're still parked across the street from Ohio St. and in 2 hours we'll leave for Cincinatti. I hate when we don't drive to the next city the previous evening, but oh well. 8 more shows to go!! Be well. Smile big.

Peace always, mike park